Dec 4, 2012

recipe: taco salad



I've started taking photos of everything I eat.

Bonus benefit of taking photos each day is it's EASY to post recipes now. I just type up what I ate, with a link. Photo was already taken and is already on my my blog. w00t.

Taco Salad
Ease: 1 very easy
Time: 2 quick
Ingredients: 2 easy
Source: Loosely based on Easy Taco Salad from Women Living Well.org, but veggified and substantially healthified

Ingredients: (amounts up to you, depending on your desired ratio and how many people you're feeding)
  • veggie ground round (I used Yves)
  • packet of taco seasoning (could be homemade but I used a package)
  • romaine lettuce, chopped into bite-sized pieces, washed and dried (salad spinner ftw)
  • cilantro, chopped coarsely
  • tomatoes, diced
  • bell peppers (sweet, green, whatever), diced
  • avocado (not pictured, since I didn't have any)
  • frozen corn, thawed (not pictured, since I just thought of it)
  • lime juice
  • hot sauce (optional)
  • salsa
  • cheddar cheese, grated
  • tortilla chips (I used hint of lime Tostitos. The original recipe calls for Doritos), crumbled
  • sour cream or yogurt (optional. Not pictured because we didn't have any)
  •  
Directions:
  1. Mix ground round and taco seasoning in a small pot with some water. Let it simmer for a few minutes and then remove from heat and let it cool while you prepare the salad. It's OK if it's liquidy - the liquid will help substitute for dressing.
  2. Let each person serve him/herself, to customize it. Below is my style.
  3. Sprinkle tomatoes, red bell pepper and cilantro over a bowl of lettuce. (this is where you'd add the avocado and corn if you wanted)
  4. Top generously with lime juice and hot sauce. (it's the 'dressing')
  5. Add salsa, cheddar, tortilla chips, and faux meat mixture.  (and sour cream/yogurt if using)
  6. Mix.
  7. Enjoy.
  8. Seriously, it was so easy. And really really tasty. I hope this becomes a regular meal in my rotation. 

No comments: